BlueZone. ANESTHETIC COLLECTION SERVICE. Saving our neighborhoods every day.

Risks to Hospitals

Fact! Toxic anesthetics are vented from hospitals into the air that we breathe

During the typical surgery, less than 5% of the total anesthetic administered is actually metabolized by the patient and the remaining 95% is routinely vented outdoors through the operating room air scavenging system.

Fact! Vented anesthetics impact air quality and human health issues

Once vented from the hospitals to the atmosphere, the anesthetics, being stable halogenated ethers, are:

  • Toxic and potentially lethal when inhaled in high dosage
  • About 7 times heavier than air, have an adverse impact on local air quality and are a human health concern in hospital neighborhoods
  • Potent greenhouse gases with a warming impact up to 3,766 times greater than CO2

The Simple Solution...
Signup for Deltasorb®

Violating the Environment Protection Act

The Environmental Protection Act is a set of regulations aimed at preventing pollution and protecting the environment and human health. Every area and country has a different set of guidelines and regulations but most regulate toxic emissions and carry stiff penalties for those who violate them.

Potential costs, legal implications and fines
Extracts from the Ontario Environmental Protection Act

The Simple Solution...
Signup for Deltasorb®

As custodians of human and environmental health, do the right thing.

Risking Human Health
Scientific Fact: Anesthetics are about 7 times heavier than air
Vented anesthetics drop down to ground level and have a direct adverse impact on air quality and pose a concern to human health in hospital neighborhoods, for hospital staff and outside workers in the surrounding area.

In Ontario, these emissions are recognized as an Occupational Health & Safety hazard and may be affecting your staff, hospital visitors, patients, maintenance workers and anyone around the hospital.

The Simple Solution...
Signup for Deltasorb®

As protectors of health and your hospital staff, do the right thing.

Being Green Friendly
Scientific Fact: Anesthetics are potent greenhouse gases that have a 20-year global warming impact up to 3,766 times greater than CO2

One average sized hospital annually releases emissions equivalent to approximately 400 cars. To offset these emissions, each hospital would have to plant approximately 125,000 trees per year, or use the Deltasorb® Anesthetic Collection Service.

The Simple Solution...
Signup for Deltasorb®

Fact: Hospital annual anesthetic emissions are expected to double
The global anesthetic market grows about 10-15% per annum and therefore doubling every 7 to 10 years and so do the emissions of vented anesthetics.

The Simple Solution...
Signup for Deltasorb®

As a green promoter and protector of our environment, do the right thing!


Dr. Daniel Riegert, MD, FRCPC "Use of Deltasorb® canisters has become a routine practice in our hospital. It prevents routine venting of anesthetic agents and allows for a safer, c...
image description

Blue-Zone Story

Deltasorb® Anesthetic Collection Service Launches New Website

Blue-Zone Technologies is pleased to announce the launch of its new Deltasorb® Anesthetic Collection Service website. The website is a resource...


26) What happens to the anesthetic when you take the canister back to your plant?

When the canister reaches our facility and is weighed and logged into our canister management database, it is fully desorbed of its capture while enab...

Contact Info

14-84 Citation Drive Concord (Toronto), ON Canada L4K 3C1
Tel: (905) 761-1224 Fax: (905) 761-3371

Articles of Interest

  • Blue Zone

    Hospital filtration system traps gas

    Eight years ago, Doug Bodie, an anesthesia assistant at Kings­ton General Hospital, made a surprising discovery... (Kingston Whig Standard, March 18 2011) ...

  • Blue Zone

    California passes cap and trade bill

    In a preview of national regulation to come, California passes legislation intended to regulate the emission of greenhouse gases. Healthcare facilities may soon face additional costs associated with the venting of anesthetics. ( ...

  • Blue Zone

    Green Solutions - A Greener Way to Get Anesthetized

    From the O.R. to the ocean, Canada's greenest employers are working toward solutions for some surprising problems....